Construction of kitchen wing extension and new timber frames outbuilding
4 High Street consists of half of Badsey Manor, which is a grade II* listed building. The Manor was originally constructed in the early 14th Century as a grange or infirmary to Evesham Abbey and consists of a large U-shaped building with stone ground floor and timber framed first floor under a now hipped roof. There was originally a large carriage entrance through the centre of the main elevation.
By the mid twentieth century the building had become extremely dilapidated. In the 1940’s it underwent extensive repairs and was divided to form two residential properties. At this stage the cartway was blocked. The northern half of the building became no. 4 High Street.
At this point a single storey extension was constructed at the northwest corner to provide a small kitchen. This replaced a number of outbuildings, which appeared to have been left over from its use as a farm. All the outbuildings have subsequently been demolished apart from a short length of stone walling which originally formed part of the south and west walls of the larger outbuilding. During the late 20th century a prefabricated garage was constructed on the location of this larger building.
Although no. 4 High Street is only half of the original building it is still a substantial house with impressive rooms within the historic fabric. The 1940’s kitchen extension is, by contrast, rather small and cramped. We proposed extending this structure, using the same scale, detailing and proportions of the existing structure to provide a separate utility room and WC. This allowed re-planning of the existing kitchen to improve its relationship with the garden.
The existing concrete garage was completely out of character with the rest of the site and thus we proposed to demolish it and construct a new structure, based on the character of the previous building on this site but better related in scale to the kitchen extension.
From evidence the original outbuilding can be seen as a stable with hayloft above. Typical of many farm buildings in the region proposed to use weatherboard cladding which has been left to weather naturally. This building provides a double garage to the property accessed from a shared drive.
The building has been positioned in its context to allow easy access from the new rear extension doorway whilst so as not to compete with the historic building.