Practice Projects People Contact Us Join Us    

 

 

Umberslade Baptist Chapel.

for. Historic Chapels Trust

 

Re-roofing and Masonry repairs

The Wain House

Listed Grade II*, the Chapel was built in 1877 by George Muntz of Umberslade Hall to designs by George Ingall of Birmingham.  It consists of the main body of the Chapel with an Apsidal end to the east. Truncated Transepts and a Tower and Spire to the southwest.  To the east beyond the Apse, single storey Vestries were added in 1892 and it has remained largely unaltered since.

The Chapel has not been in regular use since the 1980s and was acquired by the Historic Chapels Trust in 1997 with the intention to conserve the building for the benefit of the public and the local community and to bring it back into more regular use.

The building has suffered from a lack of appropriate maintenance which has resulted in localised failures in The Wain House Interiorstonework, extensive timber decay especially and structural movement resulting from poor initial detailing and construction, notably the buttresses to the Tower which are not adequately bonded into the Tower structure.

In 2007/08 works were undertaken to repair sections of masonry, re-roofing of the main roof and glazing repairs. While future work will involve adaptation of the Vestries for use as meeting rooms with toilets and kitchen facilities.

 
 

 

Umberslade Picture Gallery




Replacement louvres to the bell tower

Garage interior

Garden elevation
Stonework repair around the side entrance porch


kitchen extension
Main Chapel once finished

Return to Top of Page